*** ALL 2016 SESSIONS HAVE BEEN FILLED. PLEASE CHECK BACK AT A LATER DATE FOR 2017 OPPORTUNITIES.***
Kindness Ranch Animal Sanctuary - Seasonal Volunteer Program Posting
Do you have a passion for animals and rescue work? Do you want to be a part of a very unique sanctuary, focusing on rehab and finding adoptive homes for a variety of animals including dogs, cats, horses, pigs, cows, and sheep? If so, we may have just the right volunteer opportunity for you!
Kindness Ranch Animal Sanctuary is a unique organization dedicated to the care and rehabilitation of former research animals. Settled on 1,000 acres in the ranchlands of Hartville, WY, just 3.5 hours north of Denver, Kindness Ranch provides a safe place for these animals to live and learn – and when they are ready, we also help them find their happily ever after!
And now, Kindness Ranch is seeking passionate, motivated, and qualified candidates to take part in our 2016 Seasonal Volunteer program. This program consists of three 6-week sessions during which a volunteer will work right alongside our staff, caring for the animals, interacting with adopters and other visitors, and carrying out all of the necessary day-to-day tasks that keep the sanctuary running. It is an experience you will never forget!
The Seasonal Volunteer position is an unpaid, voluntary position that serves as an assistant and back-up to the Animal Caretaker staff. The primary duties are the direct care of the dogs and cats, supervising other volunteers and visitors, and cleaning and maintaining the guest cabins. However, this person may be asked to help with or complete other tasks as needed day-to-day, and should expect a varied and flexible 40-hour per week schedule.
Seasonal Volunteer duties include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring that our dogs’ and cats’ daily needs are met with the highest possible standards for care. Includes preparing food and water, cleaning habitats, distributing medications, socialization, exercise, and daily monitoring for health and behavior concerns;
- Socializing and creating an engaging and stimulating environment for the dogs and cats;
- Assisting in the efforts of our rehab and training program;
- Assisting in promoting and facilitating adoptions of our available animals by interacting with visitors and potential adopters;
- Supervising volunteers and day visitors in daily ranch activities;
- Cleaning of rental cabins after guests’ departure;
- Occasional chores in the barn area and/or assisting with the care of the horses, pigs, sheep, and cows;
- Other duties as assigned.
The Seasonal Volunteer should be a person who:
- Can engage in a positive manner with staff, volunteers, and guests to ensure an overall pleasant experience for all visitors;
- Has strong communication and customer service skills and likes working with people as much as they like working with animals;
- Is a reliable team player and can be flexible day-to-day regarding scheduling and duties assigned;
- Can work unsupervised when needed and stay on task;
- Possesses basic computer and internet knowledge and skills;
- Has experience and/or the willingness to learn and apply positive animal training techniques;
- Is willing and able to live in an isolated environment with limited services and resources;
- Is energetic and motivated to help carry out Kindness Ranch’s mission.
The following are also helpful, but not necessary:
- Experience handling and/or caring for dogs and cats in a professional capacity;
- Ranch hand or similar experience caring for farm animals;
- Home or facilities maintenance knowledge and skills;
- First aid (human or animal) and/or vet tech knowledge and skills.
You must be at least 18 years old to apply. If selected, you must agree to a background check before a position will officially be offered. All Seasonal Volunteers will sign a Volunteer Agreement and have a 10-day trial period during which all parties will decide if the assignment is a good fit.
1) June 1 – July 13
2) July 19 – August 30
3) September 6 – October 18
Property and other area information:
Because of the ranch’s remote location, on-site furnished housing can be provided with a refundable deposit. These cozy, one-bedroom cabins include full kitchens equipped with standard appliances and stocked with dishes, cookware, utensils, etc. All linens and towels are provided. Internet service is not available in the cabin, and cell reception is minimal, but there is access in other areas of the ranch. Personal pets will be considered on a case-by-case basis. You must be able to provide your own transportation, groceries, and other personal items for the duration of your session.
Hartville is the oldest incorporated town in Wyoming, with a very small population of less than a hundred people. Nearby communities include Guernsey (15 miles), with basic services, and Wheatland and Torrington (both 45 miles), which are slightly larger towns with more services. Casper and Cheyenne (both 100 miles) have larger populations with more extensive services.
With the remoteness of the area comes beautiful country, nature, abundant wildlife (elk, deer, and eagles frequent the ranch and local area), and several parks and lakes that offer camping, hiking, boating, kayaking, and swimming. There are also several historical landmarks in the area, and other larger travel destinations are a few hours in any direction.
Wyoming climate is varied and sometimes unpredictable. Summers can be warm, dry, and windy, or wet with an extended stormy season. Snowfall can happen as late as June and as early as October. Wildfires, hail storms, and tornadoes are the most common natural threats. The elevation at Kindness Ranch is 5200 feet and the surrounding areas vary.
Interested in applying? We can’t wait to hear from you! Please complete the following steps:
- Review the Summer Volunteer Job Description and theEssential Capabilities of Volunteers documents to ensure your complete understanding of the duties and expectations of the position.
- Submit the online 2016 Seasonal Volunteer Application.
The last day to submit an application is March 31, 2016. Qualified applicants will be notified for the next step. There will be a total of three Seasonal Volunteers selected (one for each session). Once the selection process is completed, all offers will be made by May 1, 2016.